The VitaminSC3 Podcast is powered by the Sickle Cell Community Consortium. Today's show is brought to you by the Caring is Giving segment with Elle Cole. Today's conversation touches on marriage, unconditional support, loving someone with a chronic illness and relocation.
About Aniekan Uwan
Aniekan is the Co-founder and CFO of Sickle Cell Medical Advocacy Inc. He is the husband of Simone Uwan, MD. Aniekan has a background in Project Management. His professional skills were honed while working at Google as a Senior Project Specialist overseeing international projects. His Accounting skills were also a welcomed asset. He has exceptional relationship-building skills and is a keen problem solver. Today, Aniekan spoke to us on the VitaminSC3 Podcast about the love of his life, Dr. Simone, and how he cares for her.
Be willing to stand up for your partner . . . learn to protect. - Aniekan Uwan
Today's Topic: Supporting a Spouse Who Lives With Sickle Cell Disease
Here are the questions we chatted about during our discussion:
- How did you and your spouse meet?
- When did you learn that she was a Sickle Cell Warrior?
- What did you know about sickle cell disease prior to meeting your spouse?
- Sometimes in the SCD community, we don't always get to hear male caregivers' perspectives. When did you begin to accept and acknowledge that you were a caregiver for your wife?
- How can married couples strengthen their relationship when one is living with a chronic illness?
- What does unconditional support look like for you?
- What advice would you give young couples who are looking to get married, but this experience is completely new for them?
- Have you ever had to step in medically and speak on your wife's behalf? If so, how has that experience challenged you personally?
- What do you admire most about your spouse?
- What should someone who loves a person with sickle cell know about how to advocate for them
Please tune in next week for a new episode we will be hearing from the segment Essential RX with Dr. Lametra Scott .
Do you Want to Become a Sickle Cell Consortium Partner?
Become a Sickle Cell Community Consortium member by clicking here
to learn more.
Follow their Instagram
pages if you want to learn more about the Sickle Cell Community Consortium.